It’s December 30th and the new year is almost here. I thought I would make my December post about a resolution I would like to make for 2019. Last year, I decided to make a resolution that was more about adding something to my life, instead of trying to take something away or give something up. I wanted to do the same thing this year.
I did a post back in January of 2018 about how I wanted to start learning Welsh. While there were moments throughout the year where I struggled to squeeze in a few lessons during the week, I am still studying with Duolingo at least 3 -4 times a week. I can’t say that I am really fluent, but I have learned a few words and phrases, as well as, expanded my knowledge of Welsh history and culture.
Since the start of the winter break more than a week ago, I found myself searching opera on my Freegal app. I was amazed at how many famous works are available. I began listening to La Boheme, Tosca, Madame Butterfly – to name a few. I didn’t force myself to listen from Act 1 all the way to the end, but instead I just scrolled through the opera listening for a minute or two to see if the song appealed to me. Some did and some didn’t. I even came across one recording titled – 100 Essential Opera Arias, Songs, and Overtures. This is one I have been listening to quite a bit and getting some of the greatest hits of opera. It is also increasing my interest in listening to the entire opera instead of just one or two arias.
This evening I decided to make listening to opera and learning more about it my resolution for 2019. I am going to try and listen to an opera a month for the entire year. I might even look into getting tickets for an Opera Carolina performance.
Enjoy and Happy New Year!
List of Completed Operas by Month
- January 2019 – La Boheme – Puccini
- February 2019 – Madame Butterfly – Puccini
- March 2019 – Don Giovanni – Mozart
- April 2019 – Aida – Verdi
- May 2019 – The Marriage of Figaro – Mozart
- June 2019 – Acis and Galatea – Handel
- July 2019 – Bluebeard’s Castle – Bartok
- August 2019 – Orlando Paladino – Haydn
- September 2019 – The Bartered Bride – Smetana
- October 2019 – Orfeo ed Euridice – Gluck
- November 2019 – Dido and Aeneas – Purcell and Herodiade – Massenet
- December 2019 – Wozzeck – Berg